Ideas For Your New Home

The Smell Of Danger

The Smell Of Danger

PATCO wants you to be warm and safe this winter! Here are some propane safety tips to always remember.

What Does Propane Gas Smell Like?

  •  It smells like rotten eggs, skunk spray, or dead animal.
  • Some people may have difficulty smelling it due to age, medical conditions, medications, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs. Propane can lose its odor on rare occasions. This is due to:
  • Air, water, rust in a propane tank/cylinder
  • Passage of leaking propane through soil

    
If You Smell Gas:

  • Put out all smoking materials and any other open flames. Do    not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones - flames/sparks can trigger an explosion or fire.
  • Evacuate the area immediately wherever you suspect the gas is leaking from.
  • Turn off the main supply valve on the propane tank (clockwise).
  • Call your propane company immediately from the nearest home or 911 if we cannot be reached.
  • Do not return to the building until a qualified technician says it’s safe to do so.
  • Check your propane system with you propane dealer to ensure it is leak-free.

Propane Gas Detectors:

Detectors provide an extra measure of security, which is important in the event of odorless propane.

  • Buy only units listed by Underwriters’ Laboratories® (UL).
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding installation and maintenance.
  • Never ignore the smell of propane, even if the detector didn’t sound.

Running Out Of Gas

Running out of gas can cause serious safety hazards including fire or explosion!

  • If an appliance valve or gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane.
  • If your tank runs out of gas, any pilot lights on your appliances will go out. This can be extremely dangerous.

A LEAK CHECK IS REQUIRED by a certified technician before turning on the gas.

Lighting Pilot Lights

If a pilot light repeatedly goes out or is very difficult to light, there may be a safety problem. DO NOT try to fix the problem yourself. It is strongly recommended that only a qualified service technician light any pilot light that has gone out.

You take the risk of starting a fire or an explosion when lighting the pilot yourself. Carefully follow all the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings concerning the appliance before attempting to light the pilot.